Here is Mark Sanders with Tim Clarke, Rear Commodore of The California Yacht Club, in the very elegant clubhouse in Marina Del Rey exchanging burgees.
California Yacht Club was started in 1922 in Los Angeles harbor by a group from Los Angeles Athletic Club. They built a magnificent clubhouse with an anchorage of several hundred sail and power boats.
In 1941, America went to war and CYC’s facilities were taken over by the Coast Guard. Members continued to fly the Club burgee, but after World War II, the facilities were so run down that CYC was forever gone from its birthplace.
After searching for many years for an appropriate new venue, encouraged by the development of Marina del Rey, and sensing the need for a major club there, they reactivated California Yacht Club in 1961.
October 1, 1966, saw the great move to the exciting and beautiful new clubhouse. An armada of the Club’s fleet moved into the 230 slips at the present site at the head of Marina del Rey’s main channel. The completed new facilities were formally dedicated on June 10, 1967.
California Yacht Club has members sailing in every major regatta in the world. Its 1,250 members range from neophyte Juniors just gaining their sea legs to Olympic champions.