The Whites are off on our annual migration onboard Hugo out of the country to get a new cruising permit. This year we are heading to Ensenada, Mexico, just south of San Diego.
(Hugo is Australian registered and means we need a new Cruising Permit each year – achieved by spending 15 days outside the US checked into another country then back in again).
We will be setting sail at sunrise on Wednesday 27th October and expect a 3-day straight sail to Ensenada (530 nautical miles). We have been in “departure mode” for a week now but California has just had a wild storm system come through yesterday. We haven’t had rain in 9 months but have just had a crazy storm with flash flooding and winds that we clocked on the boat at over 50 knots. The seas are apparently over 24ft out there. All that looks to quiet down over the next day so Wednesday’s departure looks certain.
Tim will be staying at home – School is 100% in person, he is studying for his SAT (senior exam) on 6th November and he is busy with university applications, etc. Lucy the adventure dog will be coming with us. As much as she is a wonderful company for Tim, she will have long periods alone and it will be much more fun to be sailing the high seas again. Tim would prefer his puppy dog have fun.
We will have company for the San Francisco to Ensenada portion of our journey. Our sweet friends Chris and Arleen Pietrzak will join us. They live onboard their Lagoon catamaran “Lola” at Westpoint Harbor and plan to take a similar trip by themselves in a year and want the practice.
In Ensenada we will be at Cruiseport Marina – Russ working online and me prepping for our boat to be hauled out – and of course, some exploring up and down the coast in between. Once our 15 days are up, we will sail up to San Diego and clear back into the US then sail up to Ventura, CA where we are booked in to get hauled out at Ventura Harbor Boatyard on 15th November – the only boatyard near us that can fit Hugo’s width (apart from Bay Ship in Alameda that wanted to charge us $10K to get lifted out). We hope to only spend 1 week upon the hardstand and then make it back to Westpoint Harbor for Thanksgiving.
If you would like to track us I will do similar to our last trip up from Costa Rica and do a mini-blog on the Predict Wind tracking page…follow this link:
Your tracking link is https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Hugo
Russ and I have cleaned, serviced, prepped, and stripped the boat of all unnecessary stuff and feel ready for our next adventure. It is soooo much easier to prep the boat for a journey in the US.
I am off to Customs and Border Protection now to sign us out of the country. 2 more sleeps and we are off…
Love Tina (and Russ) xx